Durban Hospital Complex

Rural Allowance: No

Doctors Quarters:

• Small rooms with a bed, desk and cupboards. Communal bathrooms and kitchens
  • It is basically like a res room. One room with a single bed, desk and cupboards. A communal kitchen and bathroom for sharing.
  • Generally small rooms, shared bathroom and kitchen. Similar to residences. Appliances/utilities out of order for extended periods. Always security available.

Academics:

• There is teaching but however due to Covid it isn’t as much as it used to be. We had regular tuts and presentations during internal med. Paeds was very academic with lots of tuts assignments and presentations to do. Obs and gynae had esmoes. Surgery had minimal teaching…only teaching being done was during ward rounds.
  • Generally extra teaching as well as academic ward rounds are provided. However some departments lack in that regard, such as o&g as well as surgery. Great academics in paeds, family medicine and anaesthetics.

Supervision:

• Supervision was almost always present. Seniors were always around in hospital and on the few occasions they were not present, they were always a phone call away for assistance.
  • Great supervision. Always more than one senior available so you’re never left alone.

Clinical Exposure:

• Good clinical exposure. Had plenty of occasions to do procedures e.g. CVP, ICD. As an intern you’re always the first person to see the patient so u get to make your own assessment and plans before senior review which is great for learning. Unfortunately due to it being a tertiary hospital, you do have decreased cutting time and trying to get 10 c/s is a mission but you will get them done by the end of the rotation.
  • There are opportunities for so many procedures, however it’s up to you to take the initiative. A wide range of conditions seen.

Social Scene:

• Very average. Depends on your preference and the particular intern group.
  • The vibe isn’t the same as pmb but there are occasions where we go out with other interns. It is in Durban so there’s plenty to do outside of hospital, lots of restaurant cafes malls which are nearby and being close to the beach is always great.

Additional Comments:

• I really enjoyed my time at KEH. Internship is what you make of it and sometimes you do have to go the extra mile to learn procedures in your discipline of choice. Lots of admin is done by the interns though.
  • If I could go back, I would choose King Edward again! This internship is what you make it, it can be chilled if you want it and you can get as much as you want out of it.
  • Overall a great place to do internship. You won’t be as overworked as many other places.

:left_speech_bubble:Please contribute to this conversation by replying to this topic.